During the four-month study, students are required to take 12 academic, with 9 of those units from SCET course offerings:
1. Compulsory courses
- Introduction to Technopreneurship - 1 units
- Newton Lecture Series - 1 unit
- Challenge Lab - 4 units
- SCET Course Electives - 3 units
- Additional UC Berkeley Course Electives - 3 units*
Students must consult instructors in advance for permission to enrol in any additional Berkeley course.
Those units successfully completed by students are recognised by the Academic Registry at HKBU for unit transfer. Students are responsible to discuss with their programme directors for the course selection. Students will receive an electronic form from SCET for course registration and will be asked to prioritise the choice of elective courses in due course. However, students’ final course registration will be decided by the SCET subject to the seating capacity.
Application Method and Period
Semester at Cal
Fall Semester (August to December)
Starting date for application at HKBU
Interested HKBU students have to fulfill the following requirements:
- Only undergraduate students currently studying of 2nd or 3rd year and postgraduate students# can apply; and
- Students must attain GPA of 3.0 or above; and
- Students must have a good command of English*; and
- Students must not have any other overseas exchange or internship engagement, no matter organised by HKBU or other external parties, at least 2 months prior to the commencement of the programme; and
- Students preferably have previous learning experience at entrepreneurship activities.
- Any other specific criteria set by the Faculty/School/Academy/KTO.
- For candidates who meet all of the criteria above, to respect the wishes of some donors, priority will be given to local (i.e. non-visa holder) students.
All final year students are not eligible.
Students preferably can provide an English Proficiency Proof either the result of TOEFL: 90 (iBT) or IELTS Academic Format: 7 or TOEIC: 800. If students cannot provide this document, their respective academic units should provide a supporting letter instead.
Tuition Fee Sponsorship
As one of the Sutardja Center’s Global University Partners, our HKBU students are eligible to enrol in one semester of the Startup Semester Programme at a discounted tuition fee of USD 9,875 per student. Successful candidates might receive sponsorships from KTO and the respective Faculty/ School/ Academy.
Air Ticket, Accommodation and Cost of living
Students will need to bear the cost for air ticket, accommodation and other living costs including meals, local transport etc. Budget on living expenses estimation is as follows:
|Item||Budget for one semester study (estimated)|
|1||Round-trip Air Ticket||HKD 8,000|
|4||Transportation fee||HKD 2,250|
|5||Book and supplies||HKD 3,400|
|6||F1-Visa application fee||HKD 1,280|
|7||Program Application Fee & SEVIS Fee||HKD 3,510|
Students are required to arrange their own accommodation due to restricted capacity of UC Berkeley on-campus housing. UC Berkeley International Office vetted and suggested the overseas students to visit some off-campus housing webpages:
Cal Rentals Off-Campus Housing Webpage
Legitimate Housing Facility (endorsed by UC Berkeley Summer Sessions)
Students may browse some UC Berkeley International Students Facebook page, e.g. “UC Berkeley off-campus housing” to obtain some advices from previous renters.
According to the US Consulate website, students are required to present the Form I-20 to the US consular officer while applying for their F1-visas (student visas). Once students complete the online application for the Startup Semester Programme, the SCET will send the application materials to their UC Berkeley Visa Processing Office and they will handle the collection of the documents needed. The whole process will take 2-3 months. They will send the Form I-20 directly to the individual student once ready.
After that, students will apply for visas via US Consulate online application system. Students are strongly recommended to apply their visas in Hong Kong. Students should be responsible for the visa application fee HKD1,280, program application fee USD100 and SEVIS fee USD350.
Under F1 Visa Program, students can enjoy many benefits –
- Receiving an official transcript upon the completion of the programme;
- Using the Cal Central Registration Platform to arrange registration and changes of courses;
- Free access to university fitness Facilities;
- Free access to AC Transit Bus System;
- Early access Berkeley email address;
- Cal card advance pickup;
- Receiving higher discounts for purchasing health insurance; and
- Enjoying housing counselling service provided by the UC Berkeley Extension
HKBU Tuition Fee
As the Startup Semester Programme is not an exchange programme, students will be granted leave of absence for one semester during their studies at UC Berkeley and do not need to pay tuition fees to HKBU for the semester while studying at UC Berkeley. However, they are required to pay their outstanding tuition fees for the whole normal study period before they are approved for graduation.
The courses completed by our HKBU students under this Startup Semester Programme will be recognised. Students may apply for unit transfer after they have completed their semester at UC Berkeley. However, the students' respective academic units reserve all rights to decide how many unit(s) can be transfered to their current studies at HKBU.