The Government has earmarked $3 billion as government matching grants under the RMGS. The operation period of the Scheme is a period of three years from 1 Aug 2019 to 31 Jul 2022. The RMGS will cover the 8 UGC-funded universities (including their self-financing arms/ units) and 13 local self-financing degree-awarding institutions.
**BRIEFING SESSION WAS CONDUCTED ON 25 JULY 2019.**
The powperpoint presentation can be download [here].
UGC-funded universities (including their self-financing arms/units)
1. City University of Hong Kong
2. Hong Kong Baptist University
3. Lingnan University
4. The Chinese University of Hong Kong
5. The Education University of Hong Kong
6. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
7. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
8. The University of Hong Kong
Local self-financing degree-awarding institutions
9. Caritas Institute of Higher Education
10. Centennial College
11. Chu Hai College of Higher Education
12. Gratia Christian College
13. HKCT Institute of Higher Education
14. Hong Kong Nang Yan College of Higher Education
15. Hong Kong Shue Yan University
16. Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong
17. The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
18. The Open University of Hong Kong
19. Tung Wah College
20. UOW College Hong Kong
21. Yew Chung College of Early Childhood Education
to incentivise the private sector to strengthen financial support for R&D;
1.Only donations and research grants/contracts from non-government/ non-public sectors to the universities/institutions during the three-year period will be eligible for matching. Research grants/contracts from non-government/ non-public sectors, e.g.
2.There should be no "double matching" or "double subsidies". In other words, projects having secured various public/government funds from local1/non-local authorities2, and donations already matched with public funds within Hong Kong under other matching schemes (e.g. the Eighth Matching Grant Scheme) will not be eligible for any matching grants under the RMGS.
1For example, research grants from the ITF, UGC and RGC, funding from the Hong Kong Jockey Club, or MTR Corporation Limited.
2For example, cross-boundary Mainland public funding, government/public funds from regions outside Mainland.
3. Any indirect costs (i.e. "on-costs") arising from R&D projects/activities will not be eligible for matching under the RMGS. Staff costs of research assistants or postdoctoral fellows directly involved in the research project(s)/activity(ies) concerned are covered and eligible for matching under the RMGS. Staff costs of administrative/ executive/management staff not performing research tasks/duties should be deemed as indirect costs (i.e. "on-costs"), and are not eligible for matching under the RMGS.
|Donation Received Forms|
|Cash||Equipment||Bonds / Shares|
|Donation for research
||Annex B (i)
Annex B (i)
Declaration by Donor
|Annex B (ii)
Annex B (ii)
Declaration by Donor
|Annex B (iii)
Annex B (iii)
Declaration by Donor
|Research grant / contract / service
Contract Agreement Templates (Eng)
Contract Agreement Templates (Chi)
Declaration by Fund Provider
|Memo- Bank account information|
Donations received and matching grants provided under the Research Matching Grant Scheme should be designated solely for research-related expenditure.
Examples of such expenditure include:
Donations/matching grants under the Research MGS should primarily be used in undertaking research work/activities/projects/initiatives in Hong Kong in order to train and groom research talent in Hong Kong. If the university/institution would like to outsource a small part of the research work/activity/project/initiative to be conducted outside Hong Kong, full justifications should be provided for consideration by the UGC Secretariat.
1.The Government, UGC and RGC will not claim copyright or other IPR of the output/work produced involving the government matching grants of the Scheme. Except for license copyrights or copyright requirement imposed by publisher or journal or governmental body, all copyrights to, and royalties from books, journal articles, and other copyrightable materials produced by the researcher concerned involving the government matching grants of the RMGS shall belong to the HKBU or the donor/sponsor concerned or be co-owned by both as appropriate.
2.Except for licence rights or ownership requirement imposed by publisher or journal or governmental body, all intellectual property arising out of any work undertaken by a researcher employed by HKBU concerned shall reside with the HKBU’s Administrative Guidelines for the Protection of IPR or the donor/sponsor concerned or be co-owned by both as appropriate. The Government, UGC and RGC will not claim any title or right to all inventions and possible resulting patents arising from the HKBU’s sponsored research.
In considering the acceptance of donations/ sponsorships:
A typical application and the allocations of matching grants based on the information submitted will be processed and informed by the UGC Secretariat, normally by the beginning of the second month of the quarter concerned (i.e. beginning of February, May, August or November).
Knowledge Transfer Office, Hong Kong Baptist University
Address : DLB 825, David C. Lam Building, 34 Renfrew Road, Shaw Campus
Tel : (852) 3411 6695 or (852) 3411 2820/8076
Fax : (852) 3411 8093
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : http://kto.hkbu.edu.hk